Saturday, February 20, 2010

The First Step

All the old cliches come to mind as I begin this effort. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, eat an elephant one bite at a time, and so forth and so on. But it is true, everything has a beginning and for my blog this is it. I actually set this up about 3 months ago and have been attempting to summon the courage, or hubris or whatever it is that makes people do this sort of thing, ever since. At any rate here I go, off and running, well probably more like meandering. I'll see how it goes and then maybe tell someone about it.

About the name of the blog, "Fairhope Living", it's just where I am. Looking back, it was destined that Fairhope is where I would ultimately end up. Moving here had been a nagging impetus somewhere in my mind for probably 35 years until somehow, almost without any intent, I wound up in Fairhope, AL. But this isn't about the past but the now. There is always something happening to report on so here we go.

Today was the annual Chili for Charity cook-off to benefit the Baldwin County Ecumenical ministries. My Rotary club always enters a team and we gather for the cooking of the chili the night before the event. There is some stirring of the chili and a lot of drinking of the scotch that occurs. Of course there is some exchange of ideas; not on the scale of the Fairhope Philosophical Society, but more on that in a later post.

A call from a favored client and friend, yesterday, changed my plans for the participating this year. It was an invitation to meet for an early morning round of golf at the Lakewood Golf club. The year was 1970 when I first picked up a club and played this storied course. Part of the grounds of the fabled Grand Hotel at Pt. Clear, this place is woven throughout the fabric of my life. So it was appropriate that on this day, blessed with perfect weather, we set off for a morning of relationship renewal.

No one appreciates the history of Lakewood more than my partner on this day, he being a student of history with an great appreciation for the customs and traditions that saturate this place. As we played through fareways lined with century's old, moss filled oaks, past the Confederate soldiers cemetery, and finishing with lunch in the history rich clubhouse, I was in the moment while awash with memories of other days spent here.

Of course we discussed real estate, that being the basis of our business relationship, he being the president of a national real estate franchise organization and me in the role of his advertising agency. Having been a former resident of Lakewood, Marty was interested in state of Fairhope Real Estate. I shared with him the great opportunities that exist such as those at the Colony at the Grand.

After lunch we said our goodbyes and returned to the real world, secure in the knowledge we had done our part in keeping the traditions alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment